Spec Script Spectacular 2018
Award winning Vancouver playwrights compete head to head in a live action writing challenge!!!!!!!!
Wednesday Feb. 21st
PROGRESS LAB (1422 Williams Street)
Doors at 7pm - Start time: 7:30pm
Hiro Kanagawa - Governor General Award Winner
Quelemia Sparrow – Award-winning playwright/actor
Sebastian Archibald - Itsazoo co-Artistic producer, award-winning playwright
Mily Mumford - Playwright/Screenwriter/scientist and artistic director of Nebula Company Theatre
Marcus Youssef- Simminovitch Award Winner and AD of Neworld Theatre
They have 1 hour to write a short script with subjects chosen by our very own audience, in the genre of speculative fiction. WHAT the F* is is speculative fiction? Narrative exploring real and important ideas about what is happening in the world right now, through an intelligent eye on the near future. Dystopian reality-esque. Examples: Black Mirror, 1984, the Handmaid’s Tale. Get it?
The playwrights write live at a table in front of the crowd, they have the option to use noise-cancelling headphones. While they are writing, we will be running a SCI-FI TRIVIA competition and the bar will be open. Audience members can buy one of the playwrights a drink!
- Audience members write down a word/subject/theme/idea/sentence in the genre of Speculative Fiction.
- Playwrights pick one audience chosen speculative fiction subject out of a hat.
- Playwrights have exactly 1 hour to write a short script based on that subject.
- All 5 Playwrights will be set up along a large table. They will have the option of wearing noise-cancelling headphones.
- They must write live in front of our audience.
- They can incorporate the subject in any way they see fit.
- AT THE END OF THE 90 minutes we will print out all necessary scripts and do a LIVE cold read of the scripts.
- Playwrights choose which actors/people they want from the audience to read their piece.
- They are allowed to perform the piece themselves.
WE WILL CONDUCT A SECRET VOTE