Submissions for the 2017 festival are now closed. Check back here for updates in Fall 2017
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS – rEvolver Theatre Festival
May 24 – June 4, 2017
Upintheair Theatre is now accepting applications for the 2017 rEvolver Theatre Festival. rEvolver will be presented at the Vancouver East Cultural Centre (The Cultch) May 24 – June 4, 2017.
We invite submissions from artistically and culturally diverse companies and artists from across Canada to have their work considered for presentation. We are particularly interested in original productions with running times of 50 - 90 minutes but any running time will be considered by the jury.
DEADLINE ALL SUBMISSIONS:
September 16th, 2016 (Postmarked or Emailed)
About the Festival:
rEvolver presents adventurous, high energy, and sophisticated new work by emerging companies and artists, bringing audiences the full range of contemporary theatrical practice, from script-based theatre to devised and site-specific works, staged readings of work-in-progress, and in-depth discussions with artists.
rEvolver is incubator of new work with a focus on formal innovation, supporting emerging professional theatre makers and more experienced creators at transformative junctions in their careers.The festival features primarily new Canadian work, although we welcome submissions from companies wishing to premiere re- interpretations of existing works. In particular, we encourage work that takes risks, that is reflective of diverse voices and experiences, that is creative and has a clear artistic vision. At the same time, we will be looking for work that is accessible and engaging to audiences.
rEvolver has a broad and inclusive definition of “emerging”, ranging from recent graduates to more experienced professionals attempting to grow or transform their practice significantly, such as those seeking to establish a national touring practice, or embarking on a transformative artistic journey.
We strive to offer presentations that appeal to a variety of demographics and reflect cultural and artistic diversity. We invite emerging professional artists of all ages, abilities, cultural practices, ethnicities, socio-economic status, genders, religions, and sexual orientations to apply to participate in the festival.
rEvolver Theatre Festival will provide successful companies with:
- Performance guarantee and box-office split
- Venue equipped with festival lighting and sound at The Cultch
- Venue technician and technical support from the Festival Technical Staff
- Festival advertising and marketing including website, brochure, and press releases
- Advance and at-door box office services
- Front of House services
- Presented companies will have shared use of the Test Kitchen rehearsal space at Playwrights Theatre Centre in the month leading to the festival
- Free participation in Block P Independent Producing Workshop (6x2 hour sessions), including mentoring from festival staff and theatre professionals to enable successful production and promotion of their work.
- For National Companies only: assistance with travel costs (NOTE: National submissions must be 400km or farther geographically from Vancouver to be considered).
Banner Photo Credit: Brief Encounters 17 and is of Meghan Currie (Visual Artist) + Jeff Carter (Film & Video Artist)